About the Group
We are a critique group for works in progress. Works in progress are any types of prose writing still in the revision process. The name “Prose Group” seems to attract fiction writers, but non-fiction is welcome. And yes, there is a Poetry Group. They meet on Thursdays at the same time and in the same place, 7:00 PM, Common Grounds, Lexington KY.
When and Where do we Meet?
Tuesdays at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. We meet at Lucky’s Market, the community room in the back, right-hand corner of the store. Please click our meetup.com page to keep up-to-date on meetings, cancellations and news.
Thursdays at 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. We meet at Lucky’s Market, the community room in the back, right-hand corner of the store. Please click our meetup.com page to keep up-to-date on meetings, cancellations and news.
Summer group meetings are generally smaller than fall and spring groups.
Sharing Your Work
It is generally recommended that new members observe one meeting before bringing their own work for critique. When you are ready to share your work:
- Bring no more than four single-spaced pages (or eight double-spaced), 5 to 10 copies, of your piece to the meeting.
- Each person is allotted about 15 minutes for reading and a critique. If more than eight people wish to read in a night, other members will be asked to wait until the following meeting to share their work.
- When you do read, let the work speak for itself. If you use your time to explain the piece, you will run out of time for both a reading and a critique.
- Long chapters should be broken into smaller chunks and the readings spread out over two or more meetings.
The Art of Critiques
Our motto: No writers should be harmed during the course of a critique.
- Positive Feedback. Please be sure to mark what you like in a piece in addition to suggestions for improvement.
- Expect to Receive Constructive Criticism. This is a critique group and, while members should always be respectful of all work presented, looking at all writing objectively is part of the process.
- When receiving a critique, there is no need to defend your piece. Just accept any helpful ideas or insights and ignore the rest.
No membership is necessary. But if you come for group, please be courteous to other members by coming on time and staying the full two hours, not just until you’ve had your turn to share. We look forward to seeing you!